Note: Dr. Ji, the graduate coordinator for admissions, will host a webinar on graduate studies and career in statistics, at 4:00PM, Wednesday, April 15, 2020. Please go to https://zoom.us/j/141419264 and install the Zoom software to attend. No registration is needed.
We offer two graduate programs in statistics: the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) and the Master of Science (MS). Master's degrees are not required for the PhD program applicants.
Departmental Minimum Requirements for Admission
There are several courses that are required for admission into a graduate program in the Department of Statistics:
|At least a brief background in Statistics;|
Three semesters of Calculus
(i.e. Differential, Integral, and Multivariate Calculus); and
|A course in Linear Algebra|
Graduate School Minimum Requirements for Admission
The minimum requirements for admission to the Graduate School of the University of Georgia are:
|Overall GPA of 3.0; and|
|Strong Quantitative GRE score|
For international students who are required to submit a TOEFL score:
|Minimum TOEFL pBT:||Score of 530|
|Minimum TOEFL cBT:||Score of 213|
|Minimum TOEFL iBT:||
Note: An international student may waive the TOEFL if s/he is from an English speaking country, or if s/he has a degree from an institution of higher learning in an English-speaking country. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for TOEFL waiver.
|Minimum IELTS Score||
Details of Application
- The online application forms may be accessed from the Graduate School's web site, http://grad.uga.edu
- A non-refundable fee of $75 for domestic applicants and $100 for international applicants must be paid upon submission of your application.
- You must submit the names and e-mail addresses of 3 people who will write your letters of recommendation. The Graduate School will solicit online letters from these people.
- You must upload the copy of your transcript from each college or university you have attended. If you are admitted, you will be asked to send the official copy to the Graduate School.
- You must have official GRE and/or TOEFL (or IELTS) scores sent to the Graduate School.
- You must submit your resume and statement of purpose.
For applicants seeking financial support
(Fall semesters only)
|For applicants not seeking financial support||
Note: In general, new students are eligible to recieve financial support only if they start in Fall. Applicants for other semesters or who apply late for Fall will be added to a waiting list only if the applicant enrolls in the program.
Departmental Evaluation of Applications
All applications are evaluated by a committee of faculty members within the Department of Statistics. Among the factors that receive a high priority are:
|The applicant's performance in mathematical and statistical coursework; and|
|What the letters of recommendation indicate about the applicant's ability to pursue graduate study in a mathematical science|